Friday 3 August 2007

2.35:1 Ratio Anamorphic Lens

Being a bit odd, I was dreaming about the SimRoom last night and I thought it would be interesting to have an even wider screen as in racing sims it's quite important to see what is happening on the sides rather than what is going on above your car or under the bonnet/hood (leave that to the virtual mechanics!). As far as I know there aren't many manufacturers of projectors capable of displaying 2.35:1 ratio screens so I had a look for lenses and there seem to be quiet a few lenses on the market for this purpose. Amongst others I came across Prismasonic and their cheapest lens for this purpose is the H400-series and it will do just this for you. They also have a calculator on their site that allows you to have a look how the lens will adjust projected image dimensions for a number of projectors.

So far, both the calculators I've found for optional lens and for calculating throw distance and screens sizes have the Sanyo PLV-Z5 which is supporting my case of buying that particular projector. It would probably have been nice to increase the resolution to a 1920x1080 projector - but they cost a lot more than 1280x720 projectors and hopefully the latter resolution is sufficient for this project.

The cheapest Prismasonic lens still costs over 5000 SEK so again, this will be beyond my budget and it is probably aimed at the home cinema boys that also spend more on speaker cables alone than I have allocated for this entire project :)
Category: Hardware [cat_hw]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Imphy,
I have read your blog and it was very interesting. I like LFS a lot like you, but i haven't time enough to play like i'd like. I will buy an SCM like you want to do and a videoprojector.
I have you read this post from shigeT on Frex /rscnet :
http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?s=9f334bae9a9f9652c22f4734b6d9e902&t=280180&page=5

They will produce "curved projector screen for full covered FOV" :]

Dr.Filou

Anonymous said...

I merely wished to officially say "Hi there" to everyone here. In my opinion , that this appears like an unusually appealing place to be online.

I cannot wait to begin. Do you have any sort of guidance for someone in the beginning stages? Any certain section that you would advise more versus others to begin?

I want to to share with you a quote that i have often found to be tremendously motivational in order to start formal introductions:

[quote]Never believe in mirrors or newspapers. ~Tom Stoppard[/quote]
Greetings,
Mark

Anonymous said...

"Staropolskim obyczajem,
gdy w Wigilię gwiazda wstaje,
Nowy Rok zaś cyfrę zmienia,
wszyscy wszystkim ślą życzenia.
Przy tej pięknej sposobności
i ja życzę Wam radości,
aby wszystkim się darzyło,
z roku na rok lepiej było."

[url=http://www.karty-swiateczne.com]kartki świąteczne[/url] - kartki świąteczne
NIECH MIKOŁAJ PRZYNIESIE CI PEŁEN WOREK SZCZĘŚCIA I POCIECHY DLA SERCA!

- Żyj z rodziną i przyjaciółmi w zgodzie i pogódź się z nimi nawet jeśli to niemożliwe!

CZAS ŚWIĄT TO OKRES WIARY, NADZIEI, POJEDNANIA I WYBACZANIA!

Niech nadchodzące święta, pełne rodzinnego ciepła i odpoczynku, napełnią Was prawdziwą radością i pokojem. Niech będzie to dla Was chwila wytchnienia od codzienności, chwila refleksji i dobrej nowiny, która wyzwoli to, co najlepsze i da siły do podejmowania nowych zadań na cały zbliżający się nowy rok